CHANGING THE WAY SOFT TISSUE INJURIES ARE TREATED
Graston Technique is an evidence-based form of instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization that enables clinicians to effectively address scar tissue and fascial restrictions through comprehensive training, resulting in improved patient outcomes.
The technique uses specially-designed stainless steel instruments, along with appropriate therapeutic exercise, to specifically detect and effectively treat areas exhibiting soft tissue fibrosis or chronic inflammation. The instruments also are used diagnostically to follow the kinetic chain, to locate and treat the cause of the symptom as well as the specific area of pain.
Originally developed by athletes, Graston Technique® is an interdisciplinary treatment used by more than 21,750 clinicians worldwide — including physical and occupational therapists, hand therapists, chiropractors, and athletic trainers.
WHAT IS THE GRASTON TECHNIQUE
The Graston Technique incorporates an evidence-based form of instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization that enables clinicians to effectively detect and treat scar tissue and restrictions that affect normal function.
- Separates and breaks down collagen cross-links, and splays and stretches connective tissue and muscle fibers
- Increases skin temperature
- Facilitates reflex changes in the chronic muscle holding pattern
- Alters spinal reflex activity (facilitated segment)
- Increases the rate and amount of blood flow to and from the area
- Increases cellular activity in the region, including fibroblasts and mast cells
- Increases histamine response secondary to mast cell activity
BENEFITS OF GRASTON TECHNIQUE
- Decreased overall time of treatment
- Better outcomes in treating both acute and chronic injuries
- Faster Rehabilitation and Recovery time
- Reduced need for anti-inflammatory and pain medications
- Resolves chronic conditions thought to be permanent
- Allows patients to maintain normal activity during treatment
- Resolves effects of post surgical scarring